Clinical Implementation Strategies
With the aid of the VELscope® Vx System your practice can detect any oral mucosal abnormality that could be cause for concern including oral cancer and pre-cancer, as well as a wide range of other types of oral disease.
Introducing the VELscope® Vx to Patients
We suggest that the patient become familiar with the following benefits of a VELscope® Vx exam:
- State-of-the-art assessment tool for discovering oral health problems, including oral cancer;
- Routine aid in the quest for both oral and systemic health;
- Simple, painless, non-invasive, inexpensive (and possibly covered by insurance);
- Adds only 2 minutes to a routine oral hygiene exam;
- Early discovery leads to less invasive treatment and better outcomes.
Using the VELscope® Vx Blue-Spectrum Light
These are just a few of ways that the VELscope® Vx can be integrated into a practice:
- To inspect oral mucosa for an abnormal fluorescence response;
- Following the standard head and neck exam (i.e., white light exam and palpation);
- As part of a robust oral assessment process.
Upon Discovering an Abnormality
The following steps will provide the best course of action for patients:
- If an abnormality is discovered during the course of an exam, first attempt to determine its cause based on all of the clinical information acquired during the oral assessment process;
- If appropriate, after addressing the presumed cause, schedule a follow-up visit with the patient in 2-3 weeks to see if the abnormality has resolved;
- Persistent oral lesions require further assessment that normally includes biopsy or referral for additional diagnostic evaluation.
Email product questions to or Register for a VELscope® Vx Webinar to learn more.